Friday, May 04, 2007

Obsessions on parade....

So I went to see "Away From Her" today, which left me totally discombobulated and sad, though the fact that Julie Christie a total hottie helped. What helped more, though, was that I came home to find a gofugyourself.com post that was ostensibly about Alex Kingston but was in reality a paean to fug girl Jessica's college crush on Ralph Fiennes.

Now, Rafey has pride of place in my timeline of celebrity crushes somewhere between River Phoenix and my dear David. So of course I had to email the girls my humiliating story about sending Ralph a white rose backstage when he was performing as Hamlet on Broadway during my senior year in college, (the guy who delivered the rose played either Rosencrantz or Guildenstern and also has a minor place on my timeline because when I was twelve he starred in "Young Sherlock Holmes", a movie I obsessed about for an entire summer and saw I think six times.) Then I went to the play, which was good and very long, and I wore a white rose on my lapel and waited for him after the show and he was on vocal rest so he wasn't speaking to fans, but I told him I thought he was wonderful and asked if he could shake my hand
because he was so wonderful, and he did, and he looked at me, and at my rose, and gave me an incandescent smile before climbing into a car with Alex Kingston who he later dumped for the woman who played Gertrude opposite his Hamlet, who was like twenty years older than him, which is kind of cool, though I feel bad for Alex, and after he got in the car I actually burst into tears.

And the fug girls wrote me back! I feel like I've been touched by a really awesome, bitchy angel. Thanks, fug girls!

13 Comments:

Blogger sabialea said...

Any readings in Austin anytime soon? I moved back to Austin after 4 years in NYC--during the time your book takes place--and I recently picked-up your book. As a foodie, an Austinite, and a former Pseudo-New Yorker, it totally speaks to me.
Thank you for sharing your project.

9:05 PM  
Blogger EY said...

I wrote to the Fug Girls once after they mentioned Anne of Green Gables and Sweet Valley High, two of my favorite series growing up. They just wrote back and said "thanks" but it still totally made my day!

My future in-laws gave me MTAOFC for my 30th birthday two weeks ago. I'd been meaning to read your book, and immediately ran out to get it. I read it in two days and loved it. I'm also a fellow Long Island City dweller. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Hi Julie, I just left a comment over on the julie/julia project and now I find you are over here writing in your PJ's - sounds good. I am almost finished reading your book and totally loving it. I saw it at the library a few weeks back and it called to me until I came to its rescue. I have been annoying the hell out of my friends and family reciting bits here and there. sometimes the right book comes along at the right time. Nice to know that once I finish it, I can come over here to read more! Cheers Lynda

4:39 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Be sure to check out David in Zak Berkman's new play Beauty on the Vine. Love your book. http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=18406

It is fabulous!!

7:47 PM  
Blogger lennon19651204 said...

Dear Julie:

I am a Japanese journalist and writing an article about successful blooks for a Japanese business news blog. I would like to know approximately how many copies of "Julie & Julia" have been published. Could you let me know by email? Sorry to contact you this way.

Masa:
lennon19651204@aol.com

2:46 PM  
Blogger Your working group: said...

If you'd like to see David in Zak's play this evening 5/29, I actually can get you a seat for free. Otherwise, I can forward a code for purchasing $20 seats through June 3rd.

Loved your book!

12:52 PM  
Blogger AKPuran Gaming said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.
dragon ball z devolution unblocked
bubble shooter unblocked
superfighters unblocked

9:00 AM  
Blogger Oliver Maurice said...

If you check this blog article you will find some interesting tips and ideas on how to write great dissertation. Make sure to do it as soon as possible

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mostly solution
mostly solution
mostly solution
mostly solution
mostly solution
mostly solution

7:07 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

off white
kobe shoes
moncler outlet
lebron shoes
jordan shoes
yeezy
kd shoes
bape clothing
stephen curry shoes
jordan shoes

2:38 AM  
Blogger Ooddles Natural Premium Dog Food - Grain Free & Hypoallergenic Dog Food By Ooddles Kitchen said...

Lamb Nosh Nosh is tasty wet food, with added vegetables, minerals, and botanicals, it is a complete food for pups and adults, all ages, suitable to serve as a complete food, or to add to Ooddles kibble.

Lamb Dinner with Gravy and Vegetables. From £1.99

2:56 AM  
Blogger شركة اوائل الخليج said...

فتح اقفال
نجار الكويت
استخدام دبوس ورق فتح الأقفال بدون مفتاح يتم عن طريق استخدام دبوس ورق، وبعدها يتم ثنيه ويتم إدخال الدبوس في القفل أعلى القطعة المعدنية، ويتم التحسس على الدبابيس في الداخل، ثم الضغط على الدبابيس الموجودة في داخل القفل، ويتم تكرار العملية حتى تتمكن من الضغط على الدبابيس بأكملها، وتقدر على فتح القفل دون كسر الباب، عليك بتحديد الدبابيس الأصعب رفعا حتى تتمكن من رفعه أولا.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Micheal Jackson said...

We provide you sop related services by experts https://www.countyroofingsystems.com/
hand with plagiarism free content we have best writing team members who write statement of purpose for you.

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home