Sunday, May 20, 2007

Argentina Here I Come, Right Back Where I Started From...

.... well, no. But I am going. For more than a month. By myself. And I'm a little nervous. Because, for instance, I don't speak Spanish. Because, as an example, I have no place to stay and am not sure what I'm going to be doing down there. Because, further, I have no reason to believe I am capable of a tango.

But what the hell, right? You only live in Buenos Aires once.

If y'all have any leads on the place - places to live/eat/see, places not to see/eat/live, interesting folks to meet (butchers, especially!), etc.... Let me know! I will be pleased to be relieved of some small measure of my ignorance.


Blogger becky said...

I have no leads to places in Buenos Aires, I only know that it will be exciting and fun and I would love to eat my way through a South American country with another fellow Taurus and food-lover!! I know you are probably sick of the comments about your Julie/Julia Project but I literally just finished it an hour ago and have never laughed or cried so hard in my life (please, no more killing of lobsters and FUCK is my favorite word!!) I have no idea why you are going to Argentina or how your life has changed in the last few years, (or how your dog is) but I felt like you were my friend when I was reading your accounts of cooking and laughed because I am a chef and have been cooking my entire 36 years, save the first--maybe.It was truly a remarkable journey and I just wanted to wish the most fabulous life. You have inspired me to learn things that I do not know and to look at life more adventurously than I do. And wherever we are in life, change is remarkable when we make it. Have an amazing time in Buenos Aires. The world is lucky to have you!! I look forward to your comments and future endeavors that you will hopefully share with the world. You are truly amazing. Thank you so much. Becky

6:31 PM  
Blogger Lara Ferroni said...

I loved Argentina when I went last July, but I only got to spend a day in BA. The shopping is amazing.

Check out Matt's blog ( for some great recommendations on where to stay/eat.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

apparently there's a lot of english being spoken- call mah honey cuz his lil bro's girlfirend is from there and knows what is up :)

2:15 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Palmer said...

can you say what your trip is for? it sounds awesome.

7:09 PM  
Blogger tina said...

crap............ and all I can say is I will be spending the next month working my ass off at home! Not only that but I know the language!

What is going to take you to BA?

1:05 PM  
Blogger Caron said...

Hi Julie - I loved your book and can't wait for the next one. Check out this BBC story for tips on kissing in BA


10:32 AM  
Blogger Socky said...

Hi! I just finished your book and I really enjoyed it. You have quite a following among food bloggers in the Philippines and we hope your travels lead you here sometime soon.

5:51 PM  
Blogger said...

Somebody asked me for a coffee and cocoa rub recipe, because like a dim bulb, I mentioned that I read once that someone had a fantastic recipe for one and I was sure it was somewhere in my office and I have been going crazy looking for it. The only thing I can remember is you wrote it.
Can you remember by any chance what was in there?
You would be an angel and a saint to send it to me, and I swear to God, I won't go around making recipe promises that I can't keep. Faye

11:58 AM  
Blogger Patty said...

I don’t have any food leads in Argentina. But my son, who recently finished a social studies unit on Argentina at school, has informed me that the beef is especially good there because cattle graze on the nutrient-rich “pampas.” He followed this statement with a bout of giggling. Maybe it’s because pampas is what many of our fellow New Englanders call baby diapers. Anyhow, I know you may be sick of hearing about another blog inspired by your book, but what the heck, here goes anyway: My blog is about art, not food. But I do include a plug for your book, just in case sales are slowing down…Can’t wait for your next one.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

You are going to have an amazing time there, don´t worry about it. People in the capital speak English and most waitresses do too. Butchers, not so much. Don´t forget to buy Dulce de Leche in a supermarket and eat it alone. You will not like Mate so much but it is a tradition, so you have to try it at least once. Get a Buenos Aires temporary rent, don´t go to a hotel: they are expensive and their employees are not always in the best mood!

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home