Wednesday, August 05, 2009

... And, thanks to Aunt Ruthie...

... I have the Nightline clip. It was about 100 degrees in there, which is why all my make-up melted off and I look distressingly like myself, and there's a bit of a spoiler in there about the new book, but it could be worse. Lots of good Julia clips!


Blogger Michael said...

Saw a premier of the movie based on your book last night. Did you ever meet Julia. Did someone really tell you that she did not like your blog. I know that facts are sometimes dramatized for the movie.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Sandi said...

I feel your pain with the heat. I am from Phoenix and it is 100 degrees at midnight here and 115 during the day. I am looking forward to the movie.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Little Ms Blogger said...

You seem so at ease. More so, than your radio interview.


8:43 AM  
Blogger Julie Powell said...

Well, I've been getting lots of practice. That Amateur Gourmet thing was my first - and I was sitting in a cramped bedroom in upstate New York at the time. You do enough of these, you get the drill down.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Bones said...

Like the catch-phrase;

Surreal is the new normal.


8:56 AM  
Blogger Kenda said...

I have a feeling once your movie is release on Friday, your blogsite will be flooded with visitors.

Enjoy your success cause I have a feeling it's going to get every crazier!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Princess Julie said...

I also saw your book-movie last night. I was cheering your character on the whole way.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Making boeuf bourguignon in July! TV interviewers... too bad the producers didn't light on potage parmentier instead.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Cooking Mama said...

I love the fact that you're a real person and aren't all caught up in the glitz and glam that's coming with this movie. When I watched this clip from GMA . . my eyes welled up with tears . . .because you can tell that cooking has done amazing things in your life and sad that I never was able to experience the joy that was/is Julia Child. I need to look up some clips of her cooking show. I wonder if Netflix carries anything. hmmmmmm

2:07 PM  
Blogger Amy Johnson said...

Finished the book last week...inspired me to do some great cooking...and blogging. The Nightline interview was great. I enjoyed seeing all the Julia clips. By the way Netflix has lots of Julia dvds. Can't wait to see the movie Friday.

Thanks for the inspiration!

4:41 PM  
Blogger margot said...

julie, are you doing any book signings?! in nyc?!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Crystallyn said...

Saw a pre-screen tonight. I was so pleased they stuck to your book so closely... Wooohooo! You go girl! You must be so proud!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Catelyn said...

Reading your book made me want to cook! :)

9:52 PM  
Blogger dan said...

Moira Macdonald at seattle times did a nice profile. i had one question Julie

how did Amanda HEsser of the NYTImes get the assignemnt to write the NY TIMES piece
that landed the book deal? Did Hesser find the blog herself, or did a PR agent tip her off or did Julie herself tip her off? These things just don't happen. Has Hesser ever revealed how she got wind of the story that she finally wrote for the Times?


email moi at bikolang AT gmail

11:52 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

I went to the permier of your movie tonight in Houston. I loved the movie! I loved your story even more. I was laid off in December and have been very depressed. The only thing that seems to calm me and make me happy is cooking. It is the only thing that gives me a sense of control. My husband won tickets to the movie from a local radio station. He called me all excited because he knew how happy I would be to go see it.

Before the movie started tonight the radio station asked the audience questions and they could win the book, tote, apron, cute little whisk (which the girl from KRBE called a spatula....hummm I suspect she does not cook). My husband jumped up and answered the question right. He won me the apron, booklight and whisk. He was so proud. He did that just for me. I have a great husband who I would be lost without. Tonight was the best time I have had since being laid off. I laughed and cried. Also, there were four people in the audience that knew Julia. We sat behind them. I watched their reaction throughout the movie. They laughed, whispered to each other and seemed to love it. I have never met you or Julia, but I have a feeling that she would be very proud of you. Thank you for reminding me that there is light at the end of this dark tunnel I am in. I guess sometimes we all just need someone to help light the way. I am beginning to see the light now. Thank you Julie! Bless You!

1:35 AM  
Blogger Mindful Momma said...

Loved the clip. Loved the book. Can't wait to see the film! Thanks for entertaining us all...I love your style!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Alyson said...

I'm loving how EVERYTHING cooking is tying into the movie of your book. Next Food Network Star (check, well, by the commercials, I don't watch that show), e-mail ad (2 free tickets when I buy something or other), and about 11 bazillion other places. The word is out, I hope you get residuals or royalties or whatever. Oh, and there's an interview on with Julia's cookbook editor (I think) - because of the book - where she's a little snarky, which is fun fun!

7:27 AM  
Blogger jennl777 said...

You really did do a terrific job, and I was tickled to see Cynthia McFadden was doing the interview (I've always liked her). I also thought you handled the "newspaper dust-up" question with great tact and aplomb.

Can't WAIT until next Friday when I'll be attending the 11:30 showing at StudioMovie Grill here in Houston (sorry, folks, but I HAVE to have real food while watching THIS movie!). (Oh, and alcohol, too.)

8:19 AM  
Blogger roostersranch said...

Just finished reading the book, seeing the movie on monday...I'm sorry I missed the journey with you while it was happening. I too have created something from nothing and now know it was the right choice! It does not matter what others think and you never need anyones approval.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Loved the clip on ABC. I can hardly wait to see the movie, do I want to do that before I finish your book. I have about half to do.
I remember watching Julia, she was such an inspiration. Look at you and how she has inspired you. You go girl!

6:52 PM  
Blogger glo gal said...

Did Julia really say she hated your blog and did you ever have any communication with her before she died? Saw the movie last night as it opened here in Arizona. Loved it - I too now love Julia. I remember seeing her as a little girl when my mom watched her show. She was so ahead of her time! I can't wait to start cooking for real.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

excellent clip, and excellent movie. took one of my daughters to the first show release in my town. loved it!
and that's what movies are about, entertainment and inspiration. :)
thanks for sharing it all.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Anne said...

Hi Julie-LOVED the movie! I am a food blogger and saw it with my best friend, who is a gourmet cook. Years ago our friendship blossomed around food and we founded a gourmet club for singles. It was the perfect film to see together! Congrats on your success--

The one Julia Child recipe I ever tried was from The Way to Cook, it was for a cake--and it took four hours of backbreaking work. By the end of it I was sore all over and totally exhausted! Never ventured near her cookbook again--after this movie, I just may have to try again!

How on earth did you do this??

4:18 AM  
Blogger bitten654 said...

I have been a Julie Powell fan since the Julie/Julia book first came out, but this is the first time I have ever commented on this site. I think you look great on TV, congratulations on the movie! I saw the movie last night and it was great. I threw a Julia party beforehand and gave out Julia swag and played Julia trivia. My girlfiends loved it.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Biff said...

I loved this interview- and how you looked. I have to say- and I'm being honest- you look much prettier on camera than in some of your photos I've seen so far. You need to get a photographer who can do you justice!

I love seeing hard work pay off- Congratulations!

1:34 PM  
Blogger visitworld said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

I enjoyed the movie very much, and I am going to treat myself to your book, maybe Julia's too.
I am fascinated by the whole idea of how bloggers are breaking new ground in the publishing world, how our "unedited" voices are in the mix and in many cases riding above the din of traditional publications. I began my blog in 2002... it has been a curious journey. Thank you for being open and honest, for blogging your story.

12:12 PM  
Blogger ToniH said...

Saw the movie, loved...LOVED the movie (am cooking one of JC's recipes right now)..and also liked seeing the 'real you' in this clip. I think the movie would have been just as charming, with you playing 'you'. Toni

3:18 PM  
Blogger deborah said...

Loved the book(s) - your and Julia's, Loved the movie, loved the interview clip, and look forward to reading your next book! YOU are an inspiration!


6:18 PM  
Blogger Tricia said...

Thank you for your efforts and blog then book. I have seen the film 3 times and am enjoying your book.
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."

12:49 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

I have a little Julia in me too!

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home