Tuesday, November 29, 2005

re: Republicans who hate me, and love Julia

From an interview with the great Christopher Lydon:

"As always, she was waiting for the conversation to turn to politics.  Julia Child was a Roosevelt Democrat at home, an Acheson Democrat abroad--an unrepentant celebrant of The Best and The Brightest in politics and government.  "Tell me," she said, with another of her half-winks, "what happened to the Democratic Party, which seems to have disappeared."  And why did Hillary Clinton stir up such feeling?  "I think she's marvellous," Julia said.  "This is the first time we've had a modern young woman as a President's wife," not excepting Jacqueline Kennedy.  "She's kind of a wild woman," Julia reflected, but the hatred she stirred in Washington was our problem, not Hillary's.  "With a woman who does something," she said, "men are afraid and women feel inadequate.  And the reaction to inadequacy is hatred."

Reason #, say, 5 of the thousand and one reasons I love Julia is that she did not suffer fools lightly. I also like that she was a a rebellious democrat, who defied her beloved, Republican father because she saw the great flaw in his beliefs. That's not to say that Julia hated Republicans - that's my job - but she knew what was right, to her mind.

And I love her very much.

6 Comments:

Blogger Otter said...

Hi. I'm (sadly) alomost finished with your book, and I have LOVED it, you have a new fan.

I also hate republicans and live in the state most full of them (Utah). *sigh*

P.S. You only allow Blogger comments? My "real" blog is on TypePad.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Julie,

i wanted to say thank you. my friend gave me your book for my birthday. currently, i am working for a mindless government job, having my soul sucked out of my body, thinking about going back to school to become a chef. well, i was on the way to d.c. and reading your book and thought, "what the hell, if julia can reinvent herself at 37 and you can do it at 30 then i can do it at 29." So, i gave my two week notice today and in january, i will be following my dream of becoming a pastry chef.

small world. so, i was in milwaukee with my friend, pretty gay dave (PGD) seeing a wonderful production of "taming of the shrew." there was a bit of a party afterwards and i was visiting with the various cast members. i struck up a conversation with the lead. his girlfriend was there and we chatted about this, that, and the other when i told them about my goal of leaving my job to be a chef, they said, "oh, just like julie." matt and carrie provided me with your blog address.

i just wanted to take this time to thank you and tell you how much your book meant to me.

Michael

9:50 AM  
Blogger SandyChicago said...

Julie,

I, too, am a new fan of yours. My Mom gave me your book for my birthday, and I couldn't put it down. I started cooking a few years ago (at the age of 44) after getting bombed on Chivas Regal and watching Emeril LaGasse make a Cranberry Compote. After thinking, in my sodden state "Well, sh*t I can do that" and pulling off the damn thing, I had similar drunken success with Hollandaise and also a chocolate souffle. Julia absolutely rules. Thanks for what is turning out to be a widespread renewed interest in her.
Oh, yes, and Republics suck.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Leopard1978 said...

True Dat! Republicans suck harder than a two dollar toothless whore.

8:23 PM  
Blogger erniezvl said...

Don't knock Republican's. If Julia Childs PBS station was sponsored by the PEW Foundation... then it was a lifelong Republican who brought Julia to your living rooms and kitchens. I guess you could say, no Republican's...no Julia Child show.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Deny Games said...

Very useful post. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Really its great article. Keep it up!
unblocked games - sites - google

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home