Saturday, July 14, 2007

What I'll miss.

(My shitty camera seems to have gone missing. So this will have to be a photo-less trip down memory lane.)

1) Steak. Obviously.

2) Stray dogs. Argentinian stray dogs are like the perfect canines. They are well-mannered, look after themselves, don't speak unless spoken to, but speak with calm affection when asked. They make little tours of whatever neighborhood they call home, lying in front of one doorway, then another. I am sad again that my shitty camera has gone missing because I had this picture of a particularly wonderful specimen, regal and shaggy as a wolfhound, lying in the doorway of the church at San Antonio de Alecro.

3) Milanesas. I am really sad that my shitty camera has gone missing because I wanted to show you a picture of a milanesa napolitana, which is a chicken fried steak, typically about twice the size of one's head, topped with ham, cheese, and tomato sauce. Whenever I eat one of these I become momentarily convinced that there is a god, and that he is an Italian stoner.

4) cheek kissing. I've become a huge fan of cheek kissing, so long as it isn't followed up by an attempt to stick a tongue down my throat.

5) My kitchen, which is so small and ill-equiped that there was never even a question that I might try to create my own sustenance even once while I was here.

6) beautiful, beautiful Buenos Aires. My shitty camera never could express how beautiful this city is. I want to come back already.

What I won't miss:

Showers with hot water. The bitch of it is, as soon as I get to New York I will crave crawling under and icy downpour every morning.

4 Comments:

Blogger meridith said...

oddly, i just read an article about chicken fried steak ice cream before i read your post. it seems like something you might appreciate
http://www.dallasfood.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=76

6:55 PM  
Blogger sylvie said...

wow, time just flew by didn't it? I really enjoyed reading about all your adventures in BA. loved the dogs too.
long time fan.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Bec said...

omg, that mila-whatever looks sooo good!

12:59 PM  
Blogger emanuela said...

Well, sorry to disappoint you, but MILANESA (in italian is MILANESE, believe me it's different) it's not an italian dish. Not a traditional one, I guess it's a strange evolution, something created in other countries where our immigrants went looking for work during bad bad moments here...just like spaghetti with meatballs. NOBODY in Italy cooks spaghetti with meatballs.
Hugs
Ema

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home